Sunday, October 23, 2011

Most Embarrassing Moment


It was a beautiful early summer morning. The sun was bright and the wind was soft. I could hear the birds singing outside and the giggles of the kids heading to school.  I was filled with energy and excited to start my day. I got dressed in my running clothes and headed out the door. 
Before starting my morning run I took a deep breath and stretched out. Since I wasn’t accustomed to running, I started out slowly. I passed a few blocks and felt better about my abilities. I suddenly noticed a group of handsome men looking at me from their truck. As they stopped at a red light, I looked over and smiled. I stood up a little taller and gave them a little wave. Then bang, I was on the ground. I ran into a parking sign.
            I looked over towards the truck hoping the light had changed to green, but I had no such luck.  The guys were already running towards me. I quickly got up and told them I was ok. They left and went back in their truck. As I turned away from them I felt the tears coming down. My knees were bleeding and I was in terrible pain. Although I was in pain, I couldn’t help but to start laughing.  To this day I laugh when I share my most embarrassing moment.

Vocabulary

Bright: Giving out or reflecting a lot of light; shining.

Giggle:  Laugh lightly in a nervous form

Stretched:  to reach; to extent the body

Accustomed: usual

Quickly: with rapid movements; fast

Terrible: Extremely bad

Embarrassing:  A feeling of shame

Cloze Exercise: Fill in the blanks with the correct word from the list above.

1.  It was _______________ when I slipped and fell in front of my class.

2.  I am _______________to sleeping late.

3.  It was a ______________ sunny day.

4.  She ____________________  herself out on the couch.

5.  Both girls began to ______________.

6. Tom _____________ run out of the room.

7.  Maria had a ______________ time at the party. 


Grammar:

A verb is often defined as a word which shows action or state of being.  Verbs are usually physical actions which you can see somebody doing.

Example:
The dog bit the man.  Bit is the verb and the word which shows the action of the sentence.

Look over the story and write down at least 5 active verbs you find in the reading. Write a sentence for each verb.


2 comments:

  1. I also had a male student who walked into a street sign because he was talking to a girl he liked. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably best to watch where you are going, but at least you didn't rip your pants!

    ReplyDelete